Author Interview - Carissa Andrews
1. What kind of fantasy do you write?
I am a lover of all things fantasy! Especially when you can genre-bend it with something else. While I did a lot of scifi/fantasy genre-bending in the beginning, I’ve mostly settled on paranormal and urban fantasy as my absolute favorites to write in.
2. Can you tell us a bit about you and your background? Any personal stories to share?
I’m a lover of books and all things publishing. I’ve been in the publishing industry since I was 14 years old and a bibliophile well before all of that. Since I began writing for the intention of publishing, I’ve written 20+ books and gone on to teach many of my indie author friends how to publish their books, too. I’m the CEO of Author Revolution, an online academy designed to transform writers into self-publishing powerhouses. The love of indie authorship and storytelling runs deep with me and I don’t think I could stop doing it, even if I wanted to. (Which of course, I don’t! HA!)
When I originally started writing, I thought I’d always have more of a scifi bend to my tales, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that I love experimenting in all manner of scifi and fantasy. It’s just such a joy to explore and create new worlds that can do things we can’t do in this reality.
3. Of your work, what’s your favourite setting you’ve created?
I’d have to say that my favorite setting was definitely the world of Pendomus. It was a tidally locked planet with a dystopian setting. On one hand, you have the Lateral that kept order and on the other, you had people surviving in an area thought to be inhospitable to humans. I love the juxtaposition of it.
4. Who is your favourite fantasy author and why? And which book of theirs is your favourite? That’s so hard because I love sooooo many! Ack, uh… okay… Right now, my favorite author to read is KF Breene. I love her snarky humor and wit. Plus, her stories always have great characters that seem to overcome all odds. My favorites from her at the moment are definitely the Magical Midlife books, but really, anything I’ve read from her is great!
5. What would you name your pet dragon, and what would they look like?
Oooh, that’s a tough one! I kinda feel like they should be named Ignatius or something. But instead, I'm going to go with Sasha. It speaks to me. And she’d be a beautiful black dragon with shiny purple undertones in her scales and bright orange eyes. (Pretty, right?)
6. What’s the weirdest thing that’s ever inspired you?
The weirdest thing has to be a dream I had about clouds that looked like babies and could eat people. Yeah, crazy right? Needless to say, that oddball dream totally ended up going into one of my books. Which one? Well, you’ll have to do some treasure hunting to see if you can spot it! HA!
7. If you were a paranormal being, what do you think you would be and why? This one is hard! As a writer, I get to be ALL of them! LOL! But if there was one I was stuck with, I guess it would be someone who could conjure whatever they needed when they needed it. Like a human “Replicator” or something. LOL! Come to think of it… I need to write one of those into my stories. :D
8. Where can we follow you?
You can follow me on any of the socials by checking out my LinkTree here: https://linktr.ee/carissa_andrews
Or if you’re an author looking to level up, you can also follow me here: https://linktr.ee/AuthorRevolution